Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Gardening in a Pot

Many of you tell me you cant garden because you don't have a yard, you live in an apartment, a condo or high rise.

My first home was an apartment and I built a small box out of wood scraps and put well-drained soil and grew tomatoes.

I have had a garden for the last 30 years.  It is not hard, but you have to remember a few things:

GOOD SOIL -

Feed your plants

Know which plants do well in pots, and how deep they need to be

The Best Vegetables for Containers

Potatoes, chard, lettuce, cherry and bush tomatoes, peppers, bush cucumbers, eggplants, summer squash, Asian greens, pole beans. And don't forget herbs!

Planting Depth

Here are the minimum soil depths for good growth. Remember that you  can get by with less depth if you use a self-watering container or make sure you are on top of your watering.
  • 4-5 inches: chives, lettuce, radishes, other salad greens, basil, coriander
  • 6-7 inches: bush beans, garlic, kohlrabi, onions, Asian greens, peas, mint, thyme
  • 8-9 inches: pole beans, carrots, chard, cucumber, eggplant, fennel, leeks, peppers, spinach, parsley, rosemary
  • 10-12 inches: beets, broccoli, okra, potatoes, sweet corn, summer squash, dill, lemongrass
Be creative with your pots.  I use old tins, I have a great old wash bin with two sides that I plant on my front porch, just make sure that you drill holes for drainage!




No comments:

Post a Comment